Just a girl who could no longer deny the dirt in her veins.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

No, Wait! Scratch That!

Lots of years ago I just happened to find myself unintentionally ambling down the lane called:


Scratch Boulevard



 When I realized I was deep in it, the whole "scratch thing" became a sort of quest/challenge.  I'm not saying I'll churn my own butter...wait, I think I did say that once... or boil sap to make my own maple syrup...oh, alright, I said that too.  But there are so many things I want to learn to make....in my own laboratory!!  Then there is the "I'll grow it myself" syndrome and the "I'll raise my own sheep and goats to make my own yarn" syndrome....it could be a problem.

And I'll still buy Pop Tarts and Lucky Charms and perfume and makeup and....ok anyway...  I just want the option....that's what I'm saying.

I read recently that fewer and fewer people know how to make stuff from scratch (referring to food, but I suppose it's true in other facets of modern life).   We're too busy...probably...to make stuff.  But I think we've forgotten how (never learned?)   For me...I just want to know how...in case I need to know how...to make stuff.

Cowboy and I rode into town one morning (haha...in the Ford...you thought horses).   Bank, hardware store, grocery.  I needed laundry detergent....never mind that I was just at the store earlier in the week. 

(You know, I've seen several recipes for making your own laundry detergent...I'm almost there....I have the ingredients....almost there) 

But what I noticed was the ever-increasing stuff-that's-made-for-you products (they've been there all along...I was just hyper-sensitive that day)  What if...the store was, say....out...and you really, really needed that product.  What are ya gonna do?  And let's say you're low on gas, and time is of the essence.... Or let's say you are low on $ and you have the makings in your stock-pile?.....You know where I'm headed with this....you're gonna make it at home!! Nod your head "yes" in agreement.  Good.

So I'm challenging myself further (you can jump on, if you want)....can I learn to make something from scratch that I usually buy ready-made?  Yes, thank you very much, I'll take that challenge....

What is in my cupboard, freezer, fridge, pantry, closet that I could make from scratch?  I'll go take a look and let you know.





Update on the meat discussion from before:  I'm still an unrepentant carnivore....



No comments:

Post a Comment