Just a girl who could no longer deny the dirt in her veins.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

From Scratch--part 1: Laundry Detergent

I finally blended my own laundry detergent.
  And I've used it ..... 
and I'm happy with it.  



Here's the recipe - 

1 bar of Kirk's Castile Soap, grated
1 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax

Mix it up so it's pretty much thoroughly blended and store it in a container.
Use 1/4 cup of detergent per large load of laundry....it's that simple!


No added fragrance.  Just smells like soap.


I tripled the recipe when I made it because the soap came in a three-pack.  

I grated each bar on the grater side of my trusty old box grater.  
Now, I added an optional ingredient: some grated thumb-knuckle skin.....I advise against adding skin to your blend.

(I'm whispering in your ear:  be very careful when you grate the soap)     


I read that if you want to grate the soap in a food processor, buy one that will be for soap grating only.  Apparently the soap flavor stays in the food processor. 

  I don't want to spend the $$ for another food processor...and the little box grater won't retain the soapy taste....but it does take some time to grate those bars (with a hint of danger--possible skin loss).










1 comment:

  1. Bravo!! I make a liquid version of this with very similar ingredients!! It's WONDERFUL!! (I use it to stretch my Tide detergent a LOT further!) I also made liquid hand soap from bar soap for the first time this past week. It turned out WONDERFUL!! From 2 bars of hand soap, I refilled two HUGE bottles with liquid soap!! It's FUN to save money!! (from Iris)

    ReplyDelete