Just a girl who could no longer deny the dirt in her veins.

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Rodeo - OH! My Western Adventure - Days 5 & 6

I'm sorry to be dragging out this tale!  But. Must. Finish.


Here are my answers to a random questionnaire taken "way back when" before I sat in the stands of the Cheyenne Frontier Days Arena:

Would you describe yourself as a sports fan?            NO
Have you attended a rodeo?                                       YES
      If yes, where?                                                       MARKET SQUARE ARENA, INDIANAPOLIS
What is your favorite rodeo event?                            BULL RIDING, IF I HAVE TO PICK ONE
Are you able to sit for hours in 90+ degree heat?      HECK NO
Are you willing to sit in the blazing sun for hours?   IS THIS A SERIOUS QUESTION?  NEVER!
Could you find your husband in a crowd?                 REALLY?  YEAH...WITH ONE EYE CLOSED




The weekend spent at the "Daddy of 'em all" Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo scrambled my belief system....no, really.  It allowed me - forced me to redefine myself.  I'm now forced to call myself a sports fan....of only one sport:  RODEO.

I walked wide-eyed up the stairs of the grandstand -- wishing I had more eyes to take in all the sights.  I wanted to remember all of it... the people (spectators, cowboys, clowns, contestants, entertainers, announcers); the arena (bull pens, horse pens, grandstands, chutes); the animals (fierce, muscular bulls; rambunctious, rowdy steers; proud, athletic broncs; gentle mares & adorable foals).



Check out these formidable bulls!

They look calm....are looks deceiving?



Cowboy checks out the stock
Chute 9 --- my new favorite event starts here

By Midwestern standards, a 94 degree day would spell misery;  but in Wyoming's low humidity and steady breeze it was down right bearable--dare I say, comfortable--even in the the blazing sunshine.  I kept my wide-brimmed cowgirl hat on, though.  While we were in South Dakota, Cowboy suggested that I get a chinstrap for it and so I did.  Good idea, Cowboy!  Bracing against the strong breeze, I tightened my chinstrap from time to time trying not to look too much like a pretender (which is actually how I felt.  I was certain that the real westerners saw through my disguise).   As the afternoon wore on, the angle of the sun changed to blare right on us.  Moans and grumblings rose up all around us.  Lots of folks rearranged themselves to get in the shade of the pavilion...not us.  We sat there undaunted.

I didn't want to eat, drink, use the restroom, or even talk if it meant I had to look away from the action.  As a matter of fact, I didn't even want to take the time to focus my camera.  I learned in a hurry to set my focus to a certain point in the arena and wait till a cowboy crossed into it. 

Bull riding, called a "roughstock" event, was the first and before that weekend, my favorite event.  Because of the location of chutes from our seats and the guy with the iphone and my lack of a photography strategy, most of my bull riding shots get 2 thumbs down.



The pick-up men & bull fighters:  These truly amazing cowboys are the ones at the top of this frame.

All the hours I spent watching the PBR bull riding stuff on TV and the "rodeo" we saw 20 some years ago became NOTHING compared to watching the REAL bull riding  in Cheyenne!  The riders were awesome - spitting in the face of danger - willing to ride a keg of dynamite.  As impressive (or more so) were the pick-up men and the bull fighters.  They are the rescue guys of the arena.  They help and protect the rider once he's off the bull, round up the bull and lead him out of the arena.  They are true cowboys in every sense of the word -- fearless -- and as exciting to watch as the events themselves. 

Out of Chute 9 came the most exciting rodeo event my eyes have beheld!  Steer wrestling!  Oh My!  Here's what I read in the rodeo program:  "The objective of the steer wrestler, who is also known as a 'bulldoger,' is to use strength and technique to wrestle a steer, sometimes twice the cowboy's weight, to the ground from a horse, frequently moving at 30mph, as quickly as possible.  The clock stops when all four legs of the steer are extended on the same side.  A hazer rides outboard of the steer to keep him tracking straight."   Swoon. 

Look at these cowboys!  They are at a gallop on their horses and still dive off onto a rowdy steer, grab him by head and throw him down on his side. Unbelievable!  My new favorite sporting event! Sorry, bull riding.






Bareback riding, also a roughstock event, became my second favorite (lagging waaaaay behind steer wrestling and dropping bull riding to 3rd place).  The riders use a leather rigging to "tie" them to the horse.  As the horse and rider leave the chute, the rider is flat on his back on the horse's back.  It's crazy!  I got more shots here because of the technique I figured out.  Veteran photographers, my apology...I'm sure it has a technical, industry term...but I called it focus on the spot in the arena and take the shot when some creature lands in the spot.





Steer roping and tie-down roping were awesome events, too!  The difference between the events (as far as I could tell) was in the steer roping the calf had to be roped around the horns only. The cowboy and his horse become one - like a well-oiled machine.  The calf gets a big head start, then the horse and cowboy thunder up from behind.  The horse knows exactly when to stop after the cowboy throws his rope and catches the calf.  As the horse stops, the cowboy jumps off, sprints to the calf and ties 3 of its 4 feet together.  I fell in love with the horses!  They were so smart, and I just knew they really wanted to do a good job for their cowboys.  I cheered for the horses...I think I even teared up a bit because I was so proud of them.



Look how far the horse dragged the calf in order to make sure the rope had no slack.  I teared up.


Rookie saddle bronc riding was fun to watch.  The contestants are in their first year of rodeo competition and have earned less than $1000 at sanctioned rodeos.

 

 



Women's barrel racing.  Cool!   This is one of my favorite shots.  Confession:  I'm sorry that this has turned into you sitting in my living room watching the slides from my vacation.  I don't even have any fondue or Jiffy-pop or 7-Up to serve you. 
Look at that wonderful horse.  He's trying so hard to do a good job for his girl!

As we headed out of the stands at the rodeo's end, I got separated from Cowboy.  I admit I panicked.  Heretofore, all I had to do was search for a tall guy wearing cowboy boots, Wrangler jeans, a plaid shirt and a white cowboy hat.  Easy task in the Midwest where most guys are in jeans, t-shirts and seed corn ball caps.  Not in Wyoming!   The outfit I just described is apparently the official Wyoming uniform.  I searched the sea of white straw cowboy hats and plaid shirts.  We finally met up.  Why he couldn't wait outside the women's restroom for me is beyond my comprehension!!



At the rodeo's end, I knew I was meant to be a cowgirl.  I started using the lingo -- like "next go-round" as if I talked like that all the time.   I was as sad as a kid leaving Disney World when it was time to head back home.  I determined to look for property for sale around Cheyenne once I was back at my computer.  I fell in love with Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Day 7....Colorado....don't get your hopes up, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment