Just a girl who could no longer deny the dirt in her veins.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bucket List--2 of many things

The "Bucket List" -- the new term for stuff I want to do before I can't anymore.  My list has pretty much been tied to the Proverbs 31 woman.  She's my ideal lady.  Read about her when you have a chance.  Clearly, she's not able to do all those things at the same time, but probably in seasons of her life. 

Right now I'm in the season of:  She considers a field and buys it and out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.  It's the farmer's blood mixed with dirt in my veins that has pushed me to grow things.  So I've got the orchard thing going on.  I've expanded to include sweet corn and pumpkins...and that brings me to a "Bucket List" item:  I want to drive a tractor--with confidence.  Don't judge me!!  Lots of boys in my extended family meant no tractor seats for girls' butts.  I did drive a tractor when I was 11 or 12.  Dad needed to bale a hay field and out of what I'm sure was humiliating desperation told me to get off the swing and climb up on the tractor seat.  A few instructions later (PTO speed, eye on the wind row, how to turn a corner, etc)  I was driving a tractor.  I think Dad had to tolerate my inexperience for a couple rounds till someone better showed up.  So that was like ...ahem... 37 years ago. 

A second "bucket list" item:  learn to fire a gun.  I'm not sure which verse in Proverbs 31 that would relate to.  I'm still working on that.....  hmmm.  What about this one:  Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.  Ok, here's a scenario:

Friend:  Wow!!  You had to go to the bad part of the village to get those figs.  I can't believe your husband allows that!!

Wife of Noble Character:  Oh, it's no big deal.  I keep my glock cocked at all times.  My husband is fully confident that I can protect myself.  I also picked up some gold, frankincence and this myrrh...yeah, we lack nothing of value around here.

Is that too big of a stretch?

The Cowboy has lots of guns.  His handgun, though it looks like a toy, is heavy and hard to cock.  I was given an unloaded lesson.  "Release the safety, slide this back till it clicks, aim and pull the trigger."  Right!!!!
Here I am in a compromising situation:  "I'm not afraid to use this gun, you scary robber...here will you cock this for me?"

Once a few years back, Cowboy set up a clay pigeon in the weeds for me to shoot with his TINY 410 rifle.  I missed that pigeon by a mile!!!!  I ain't no Annie Oakley.   So I need lots more lessons and practice.  I've got my eye on a groundhog that is a looming threat to my corn/pumpkin crop.  He has taunted me for the last few days---right out in the open---the audacity.  He's assuming I'll be too afraid to pop a cap in him..  maybe I am now but I won't be for long.

I've got a lot more stuff on my Bucket list...we'll talk about them later.  What's on your lists?

1 comment:

  1. Well let's see....learn to play the harp, play for hospice patients, play harp for children in the cancer ward at Riley, become a wonderful gardener, can as many jars as I can possibly store - every year, visit FL, learn to swim, own several bee hives...geez, I had better stop. I had better get busy investing in a plan to make all this happen!

    ReplyDelete